This street has many connotations of the medieval period, as it is a narrow, rustic and wild-looking street. Its stepped and winding climb, and the small houses, adapted to the topography, represent an interesting architectural ensemble. In medieval times it was the natural access to the castle. According to tradition, the residents of the street were obliged to offer, as a tribute of vassalage, a glass of water to the lords who passed by.
Corallers Street. Vera is a town in Almeria where many Begur residents went to look for coral from the 14th to the 19th century. Coral was one of the most important economic activities in the town. The houses on this street, together with those on Sant Antoni Street, are simple and of very modest aesthetics.
It was inaugurated in 1870 and was built on the initiative of the Indians, hence it was known as Casino dels Senyors or Casino Vell. It represents the fusion of the two old casinos of the town: El Bagurense and La Unión. Architecturally, the monumentality of the building is worth highlighting: large windows and doors followed by moldings, and the exterior walls of unworked stone.
The castle of Begur is of medieval origin. Throughout history, the castle has been destroyed on several occasions, the last in 1810 during the Napoleonic Wars. Today, at the top of the hill we only see the ruins of the medieval structure, as the battlements were built in 1956 to give the monument the appearance of the defensive building it was in the past. It is currently used as a viewpoint, offering an excellent panoramic view of the north of the Costa Brava: to the north we can contemplate the bay of the mouth of the Ter river and the Medes Islands, with the Cap de Creus in the background; to the east, the plain of Baix Empordà, with the Gavarres massif, and the Pyrenees; and to the south you can enjoy an unbeatable panoramic view of the entire old town of Begur and its monuments.
This center brought together the social and cultural life of the town from the last years of the 19th century until the outbreak of the Civil War. It was founded by the Forgas Estrabau family and by the workers of the Forgas Factory. In 1918, Marià Frigola Forgas from Begur rented the ballroom and the theater to make silent films, and the cinema remained active until 1978.
The first documentary records of the construction of the hermitage date back to the 18th century. During the Civil War (1936-1939) it was completely destroyed, and in 1951, thanks to a private initiative, its reconstruction began, attempting to reproduce the old building.
Before the municipal market was inaugurated in 1963, the market was held in the town square and the fish stalls were set up in this place. Every morning, between half past seven and eight, women would arrive loaded with baskets of fish which they would leave on the wooden tables that had been prepared. This was also where all the gossip and anecdotes about Begur and its people were told.
This building became a public school in 1961 and functioned as such until the mid-1970s, when the current schools were opened on the outskirts of the town.
This elongated stone bench, which runs along the side facade of the church, is popularly known as the long stone. Due to its location, it is a perfect viewpoint of the social life of the town and has been, for several generations of Begur residents, a place to stop for a drink and chat. Its rounded stones, worn over the years, bear witness to this.
In this square was the Forgas factory, dedicated to the cork industry, which had brought together different cork workshops established in Begur. It had more than 600 workers during the early years of the 20th century. In the premises of the old factory, the bailaora Carmen Amaya offered one of her last shows on August 24, 1963.
The original building (much smaller) dates from 1199, but was expanded between 1600 and 1624, following the guidelines of the Gothic style. During the 18th century, its internal structure was modified in order to create a new space dedicated to Santa Reparada, patron saint of Begur. The exterior of the building is modest, and on the north wall we find Es Pedrís Llarg (nr. 5).