Defense towers

  • Mas d’en Pinc Tower

    The Espai Mas d’en Pinc is a municipal facility of public/private confluence oriented in two main axes. Firstly, the configuration of a work center for the management, protection, study and dissemination of the marine and terrestrial natural capital of Begur and Esclanyà. Secondly, a space for the dissemination of the history of the municipality through the gaze of the building itself.

    The facility is located in the Mas d’en Pinc, a traditional Catalan farmhouse composed of different volumes, an interior courtyard and a defense tower against piracy built in the 16th century. Currently, the tower can be visited and offers a less common view of the north slope of Begur Castle. The tower is part of the Begur viewpoint route.

    For more information click here

    In 1961, the flamenco artist Carmen Amaya settled in the farmhouse until her death on November 19, 1963. The farmhouse passed into the hands of the Begur City Council and for 25 years (until 2015) it was the headquarters of the Nereo Association, which promoted the creation of the Ses Negres Marine Reserve.

    The Espai Mas d’en Pinc was born in 2016 as the headquarters of the Environment Department of the Begur City Council as well as other local entities from the private world.

    The facility has several exhibition spaces, a library, the documentary collection of the Ses Negres Marine Reserve, a laboratory, a multipurpose space open to everyone with a projector suitable for meetings, talks and courses (capacity for 25 people), as well as a camping area for scout organizations and the Mas d’en Pinc tower.

    FOR MORE INFORMATION:

    Environment Area
    Paseo Carmen Amaya, 12 · 17255 Begur
    Phone. 872 214 977
    environmental@begur.cat

    Hours:
    Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

  • Sister Tower of Can Pi

    This tower is located on the same street as Can Marquès, which allows us to deduce that this street was the main point of concentration of the population. For this reason, until 1906, the official name of this street was Carrer de les Torres. This tower dates from the 16th century, and is attached to a 19th century farmhouse that belonged to the Pi family, one of the most notable in Begur. We have documentary evidence of the initial existence of eleven towers, but currently only six are preserved. The defense towers of Begur were declared historical and artistic monuments in 1944.

  • Can Marquès Tower

    Well-preserved tower, from the 16th century, although it belongs to a farmhouse built in the 19th century. The tower has a slightly conical shape, with a cellar about two meters high at the base. In 1577, a general royal authorization was granted to build towers for defense against pirate attacks. The towers usually had two or three floors, isolated by thick vaults and connected by a side hole. A movable wooden ladder was used to climb the floors, and the last of the family who used it dragged it to the top as a measure of security. Stones and other blunt objects were kept on the roof to throw in case of attack. Another element of defense was the matacán, a kind of covered window with a hole at the bottom, which protruded and was where stones were also thrown.

  • Pella and Forgas Tower

    The name of this tower is due to the fact that it was owned by the illustrious jurist and local historian Mr. Josep Pella i Forgas (1852-1918). He also held several political positions, and was a pioneer of archaeology in the region, as most of the subsequent historical studies of the Empordà that have been carried out have had his research as a basis. He wrote the monumental work “History of the Empordà”. The tower rests directly on the bed of the rock, which gives it a great presence.

  • Tower of Mas Mauri de Vall

    Of this tower, built in the 16th century, only seven meters remain standing. The thickness of the wall is 1.30 m. and of all the towers in the town, it is the one with the largest diameter at its base (4.10 m.) so it is assumed that it was the tallest. Next to it there was a lime kiln, to supply them, and for this reason everything that was missing from the tower was destroyed. Currently the tower has been incorporated into the house and converted into part of a room.

  • Tower of San Ramon

    Old defense tower, also from the 16th century and very well preserved, located on Carrer de Sant Ramon, and popularly known as Torre d’en Caixa. Its location, preceding the climb to the castle, gives it a solemnity typical of large buildings. Both due to its conservation and its position, it is the tower that can best be seen. As can be seen, the original defensive function of the towers dictated their style of construction: the entrance door was very small, in order to hinder the entry of attackers, and was sometimes replaced by a narrow and low window.